1 Getting married in Norway

Getting married when one of you are a foreign citizen

You do not need to have a residence permit in Norway or be a Norwegian citizen in order to get married in Norway, but you must have legal stay. In this case, legal stay can for example mean that you have a residence permit, residence as an EU/EEA national, a visitor’s visa or a valid visa free stay.

Before you can get married in Norway you must get a certificate which shows that you fulfil the conditions for entering into marriage (prøvingsattest), which is valid for 4 months. You must give this certificate to the person who is officiating the marriage.

If you are getting married to a foreign citizen in Norway, he or she must submit documentation to the Norwegian Tax Administration.

It normally takes two to three weeks to process applications if everything is in order. Allow plenty of time in case there are any errors or omissions in the application and you have to obtain further documentation from abroad.

If you intend to marry a foreign citizen who has a

  • permanent resident permit in Norway, or
  • who has refugee status and has been granted asylum in Norway,

you should follow the same procedure as when two Norwegian citizens marry.

Foreign citizens who don't have a permanent residence permit in Norway or who haven't been granted asylum in Norway must present the following documentation to the Norwegian Tax Administration:

  • Personal declaration
  • Statement by the sponsor
  • Declaration concerning division (in Norwegian only) – if he or she has been married before. If it's less than two years since the divorce was granted, you can apply to the county governor for exemption from division if the most recent joint address was not in Norway. You can download the application form from If it's more than two years since the divorce, you can use the personal declaration in Part III.
  • In the case of people who are divorced according to foreign law, the divorce must be recognised by the County Governor. You can download the application form from The requirement for recognition won't apply if the divorce was carried out in another Nordic country, as long as both spouses were resident and had the citizenship of a Nordic country at the time of the divorce.
  • Documentation of name and age, e.g. passport or birth certificate. The documentation must consist of original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority. Please note that the norwegian Notarius publicus cannot not certify copies of foreign documents. The birth certificate must be legalised/endorsed with an apostille stamp.
  • A certificate from the home country.  This certificate must confirm that he or she are free to marry in Norway. The certificate must have been issued in the last four months. Translation may be necessary unless the certificate is written in English, Danish or Swedish. The certificate must be the original and must be legalised/endorsed with an apostille.
  • If the certificates are translated, submit both the original and the translation.
  • Citizens from countries outside the Nordic region must submit documentation showing that they are legally resident in Norway. The documentation must consist of original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority.

Documentation from a country outside the Nordic region must belegalised or endorsed with an apostille by the authorities in the country in which it was issued.

Send the documentation to the tax office which covers the person who is resident in Norway.