• 1 Getting married in Norway

    Getting married when one of you are a foreign citizen You do not need to have a residence permit in Norway or be a Norwegian citizen in order to get married in Norway, but you must have legal stay. In this case, legal stay can for example mean that you have a residence permit, residence as an EU/EEA national, a visitor’s visa or a valid visa free stay. Before you can get married in Norway you must get a certificate which shows that you fulfil the conditions for entering into marriage (prøvingsattest), which is valid for 4 months. You must give this certificate to the person who is officiating the marriage. If you are getting married to a foreign citizen in Norway, he or she must submit documentation to the Norwegian Tax Administration. It normally takes two to three weeks to process applications if everything is in order. Allow plenty of time in case there are any errors or omissions in the application and you have to obtain further documentation from abroad. If you intend to marry a foreign citizen who has a permanent resident permit in Norway, or who has refugee status and has been granted asylum in Norway, you should follow the same procedure as when two Norwegian citizens marry. Foreign citizens who don't have a permanent residence permit in Norway or who haven't been granted asylum in Norway must present the following documentation to the Norwegian Tax Administration: Personal declaration Statement by the sponsor Declaration concerning division (in Norwegian only) – if he or she has been married before. If it's less than two years since the divorce was granted, you can apply to the county governor for exemption from division if the most recent joint address was not in Norway. You can download the application form from fylkesmannen.no. If it's more than two years since the divorce, you can use the personal declaration in Part III. In the case of people who are divorced according to foreign law, the divorce must be recognised by the County Governor. You can download the application form from fylkesmannen.no. The requirement for recognition won't apply if the divorce was carried out in another Nordic country, as long as both spouses were resident and had the citizenship of a Nordic country at the time of the divorce. Documentation of name and age, e.g. passport or birth certificate. The documentation must consist of original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority. Please note that the norwegian Notarius publicus cannot not certify copies of foreign documents. The birth certificate must be legalised/endorsed with an apostille stamp. A certificate from the home country.  This certificate must confirm that he or she are free to marry in Norway. The certificate must have been issued in the last four months. Translation may be necessary unless the certificate is written in English, Danish or Swedish. The certificate must be the original and must be legalised/endorsed with an apostille. If the certificates are translated, submit both the original and the translation. Citizens from countries outside the Nordic region must submit documentation showing that they are legally resident in Norway. The documentation must consist of original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority. Documentation from a country outside the Nordic region must belegalised or endorsed with an apostille by the authorities in the country in which it was issued. Send the documentation to the tax office which covers the person who is resident in Norway.

  • 1 Getting married in Barbados?

    Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage Licence in Barbados Application for a marriage licence must be made by both (male and female) persons at the office of the Ministry of Home Affairs. The Marriage Licence is valid for three (3) months only. Requirements • Nationals must submit their valid birth certificates and passports (if available). All non-nationals must present their valid passports and valid birth certificates. • In the case of a widow or widower, the original death certificate and original marriage certificate must be submitted. • If either party was divorced, an original Decree Absolute or Final Judgement or a certified copy of either documents by a Notary Public* must be presented. The Decree Nisi is not acceptable; and • A signed letter from the Marriage Officer or official note from the Magistrate that states his/her intention to perform the wedding ceremony must be presented when applying for marriage licence. Additional Requirements Persons who have been granted Barbadian citizenship either by descent or registration, immigration status or permanent residence, are required to produce the original documents issued by the Immigration Department of Barbados or passports in which the relevant information has been stamped. Non-nationals who have been granted work permits must produce the passport showing that a work permit was issued to them, or the relevant document issued by the Immigration Department, not the application form or receipt. Please note that a work permit does not confer permanent status and should be valid at the time of application. Note also that a marriage licence will not be issued for a date which is beyond the expiry date of any visitor’s stay in Barbados. N.B. All documents not in English must be accompanied by a translation that is certified by an authorized Notary Public (NOT a Justice of the Peace).  Marriage of Minors Persons under the age of sixteen (16) years cannot be legally married in Barbados. Regarding consent required for marriage of a minor between sixteen (16) and eighteen (18) years, the following stipulations should be noted: • If the parents are living together, either parent can give consent; • If the parents are divorced or living apart, the parent having legal or actual custody, or where legal custody is given to each parent for part of the year, either parent can give consent; • If both parents have been deprived of custody by order of a court, the person to whose custody the minor is committed by order of the court can give consent; • Where one parent is dead and no other guardian exists, the surviving parent can give consent; • If a guardian has been appointed by the deceased parent, the surviving parent or the appointed guardian can give consent for marriage of minor; and ? Where both parents are dead or are non compos mentis (mentally incapable of managing their affairs/ unsound mind) a lawfully appointed guardian or acknowledged guardian who has raised up the minor or who for at least three years immediately preceding the intended marriage has supported the minor can give consent for marriage of minor. • If none of the foregoing options are possible, a Judge in Barbados, on application being made to him, may exercise his discretion to dispense with consent. Persons eighteen (18) years of age and older do not require parental consent.   Licence Fees • Non-Nationals - Bds $200.00 cash and a $25.00 stamp (this does not apply to persons who have residence or citizenship in Barbados)• Nationals - Bds $45.00 cash and a $10.00 stamp (This applies if either party is a citizen or resident of Barbados). The $10.00 stamp is obtained from this Ministry.   Prior Arrangements Arrangements should be made with a Marriage Officer (a Minister of Religion or a Magistrate who is authorized to perform wedding ceremonies in Barbados) prior to applying for a Marriage Licence. As was previously mentioned under ‘Requirements’ the couple must submit correspondence from the Marriage Officer who has consented to perform the wedding ceremony. One of the ways in which persons from abroad can obtain the services of a Marriage Officer resident on this island (a Minister of Religion) is to call the number of any of the churches operating in Barbados or the Supreme Court (for a Magistrate). Please see contact information related to acquiring the services of a Magistrate, below. This Ministry is not authorized to arrange or execute weddings. However, many hotels in Barbados have their own Wedding Planners/Co-ordinators. It is therefore advisable to contact the hotel (if staying at one) to obtain the services of its Wedding Planner/Coordinator. If staying elsewhere, please contact the Barbados Tourism Authority at (246) 467-3600 or (246)427-2623, for the relevant assistance. A non-resident Minister of Religion (who must also be a registered Marriage Officer), who is requested to solemnize a marriage in Barbados, may, after satisfactorily fulfilling the necessary criteria be appointed as a temporary Marriage Officer in Barbados. Information outlining this procedure can be obtained by contacting the Ministry of Home Affairs. A marriage may be solemnized shortly after the issue of the licence.   Ministry of Home Affairs Office Hours Applications for marriage licences must be made between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Mondays to Fridays. The offices are closed on weekends and public holidays.   Marriage Certificate A copy of the marriage certificate can be obtained from the Registration Department. The Registration Department is located at the following address: The Registrar of the Supreme CourtRegistration DepartmentJudicial CentreWhite Park RoadSt. MichaelBARBADOS Telephone No.: (246) 434-9970Fax No.: (246) 426-2405E-Mail Address: registrar@lawcourt.gov.bbcorrespondenceregistration@live.com Registration Department Office Hours: Mondays to Fridays 8:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.

  • 1 Getting married in Antigua

    CHANGE OF NAMEIf a change of name has taken place in the case of any applicant, then the Deed Poll under which this was done must be produced. CEREMONY The day selected for the ceremony depends upon the parties. There is a registration fee of EC$ 100.00 or US$ 37.00 to be paid at the Registrar’s Office. If the wedding ceremony is to be performed outside of the Courthouse, please note that there is a marriage officer fee of $270EC or US$ 100.00. Ceremonies can be performed between the hours of 6:00 am and 8:00 PM. Every marriage must be solemnized or celebrated in the presence of two or more credible witnesses  ORDINARY LICENSE The wedding is performed by the Registrar, Deputy Registrar, Assistant Registrar or any of the marriage Officers Valid passport OR birth certificate and valid ID picture: e.g driver’s license or state issued ID (UK / European residents, beware, the latter refers to U.S citizens; lose your passport and you cannot marry!) Proof of Status – Single – a declaration is signed within Antigua and Barbuda or letter stating status by some person well known in the community - Divorced – Original Decree Absolute which includes the seal of the court where the Decree is issued or certified copy of Decree which includes the seal of the court where the Decree is issued – Widow / Widower – Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate of husband / wife. Application form is filled out and signed at the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs in St. John’s. All applicants must be over the age of 18 years old. If under, then written parental consent must be obtained. One of the parties must be resident in Antigua and Barbuda for a period of 15 days immediately preceding the date of the application for a license. The petition for an Ordinary License shall be accompanied by a fee of EC$ 100.00 or $37US Both parties must be present at the time of application  SPECIAL LICENSE Valid passport OR birth certificate and valid ID picture: e.g. driver’s license or state issued ID (UK / European residents, beware, the latter refers to US citizens; lose your passport and you cannot marry!) Proof of Status: Single – a declaration is signed within Antigua and Barbuda - Divorced – Original Decree Absolute which includes the seal of the court where the Decree is issued – Widow / Widower – Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate of husband / wife. Application form is filled out and signed at the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs in St. John’s. All applicants must be over the age of 18 years old. If under, then written parental consent must be obtained. There is NO waiting time in the country in order to obtain a Special License . The petition for a Special License shall be accompanied by a fee of $405EC or US$ 150.00 Both parties must be present at the time of the application.  USEFUL CONTACT NUMBERSMarriage RegistrarRegistrar's Division,Queen Elizabeth Highway,St John's.Tel: (268) 462-3744Tel from Overseas: 1 (268) 462-3929Copies of your Marriage Certificate are available at a cost of EC$25. If you are overseas and need a marriage licence - you will need to call the office directly and they will give you instructions for how to apply. You will need to provide the Groom's name, the Bride's maiden name, place of marriage (Hotel etc), and date of marriage. Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs,Queen Elizabeth HightwaySt John'sTel: (268) 562-0381/462-0017/19 Ask for the Marriage Co-ordinator - she organises submission of all relevant paperwork

  • 0 Getting married in Denmark

    Civil Ceremony in Denmark Certain criteria has to be met for a civil marriage in Denmark: each partner must be of age or 18 years of age and there must be a witness present.   Since 2012, same-sex couples in Denmark are legally allowed to marriage, as are bi-national and foreign couples. The process can be very fast and involve little bureauracy unbureaucratic, so those after a shotgun wedding take note!   If you want to marry in a church, one of you must be a member of the Danish church. The only exception is the church at Stevns Klint (as seen in the video above). Højerup is the only church in Denmark where you can have a civil wedding, regardless of religion, sexuality or nationality.   Which documents do you need?A valid passport or identity card is required and a marital status certificate (not older than 4 months) from the country (or countries) where the bride and groom originate. In addition, a declaration of marriage must be completed.   For non-EU citizens, additional documents must be submitted, also if one of the partners is divorced or widowed. Registry offices may set their own requirements, so it is best to get in direct contact with the relevant registry office.   If you would like a name change, you can fill in a name declaration before the wedding. All documents must be submitted to the relevant registry office before the wedding for examination. The processing time differs depending on registry office, but usually this takes two to four weeks.   A small processing fee has to be paid and some registry offices require a minimum 'stay'. This means the bride and groom must be present for two days before the wedding ceremony.

  • 1 Getting married in Spain

    Catholic weddings are the only legally recognised religious wedding ceremonies in Spain. In fact, a Catholic wedding is the only way to be legally married in Spain if you are a non national. For other religions, you can have a blessing, but the paperwork will have to be sorted out at home. There is a 2 year residency requirement if you want to have a Civil Ceremony.   CIVIL CEREMONY There is a 2 year residency requirement if you want to have a Civil Ceremony. The documents required are as follows;  Original birth certificate in its long form  Passport  Fe de Solteria y Vida | Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage This is basically your proof of freedom to marry and may be obtained from your local registry office or consulate.  Original marriage and divorce / death certificate if appropriate.  If either party is widowed, then both the original marriage certificate and death certificate must be presented together with sworn translations.  Certificate of Empadronimiento | Proof of residency This can be obtained from the Tenencia de Alcaldía (town hall) in which you are a resident. All documents that are in English must be stamped with an Apostille Stamp. An Apostille Stamp authenticates documents executed outside of Spain (such as a birth certificate,) so that it will be recognised as genuine/ official / legitimate for use in other countries, such as Spain. All Documents must be accompanied by their Spanish translations. Banns must be posted for a period of at least 15 days. The Office of the Registrar will then issue a marriage license and once the wedding ceremony is over After the ceremony is performed, your marriage will be recorded in the Civil Registry and a Spanish marriage certificate is issued to you. OPTIONS FOR CIVIL CEREMONY COUPLES If a civil ceremony is what you require, there are only two options available to you to overcome the residency requirement. The first is to get married in a civil ceremony back home and have a blessing in Spain. The second is to get married in Gibraltar. I know it’s a different country but Gibraltar borders northern Spain and it is much easier for foreign nationals to get married here and because it is so close, you can hop back to Spain for your wedding celebrations.  RELIGIOUS CEREMONIES CATHOLIC If you or your partner are Catholic, then you can be legally married in a catholic wedding ceremony in Spain, actually – it’s about the only way to get married legally in Spain.   At least one partner in the couple has to be Catholic and neither can be divorced.  It’s a long process, start at least 6 months in advance, longer if possible. Paperwork needs to be completed at home, usually through the bride’s parish but certain documents such as the groom’s baptismal cert will be required . The priest will get in touch with the parish in Spain and will guide you through the paperwork. Forms and documents need to be translated into Spanish. Documentation Pre-nuptial enquiry Your local parish will provide you with this and it is required for both of you. Baptismal, Communion and Confirmation Certificates issued by your parish church and within the last 6 months. Fe de Solteria y Vida | Letter of Freedom to Marry A formal letter from your parish priest that states that you have fulfilled your Pre – Marital course requirements. This letter should also include permission from the priest that you are free to marry in a Catholic Church elsewhere. The priest will forward this on to the local Archbishop who will prepare a cover letter. Along with the rest of the items listed below, your priest or Archbishop will forward these documents on to the local bishop in Spain (see next point) who in turn will let the church you are to be married in know that everything is in order. Bishop’s Special Permission Non-nationals need to have their documents sent to the Bishop of the diocese in which they intend to marry to receive special permission. This can take up to four weeks and should be sent by your local Archbishop or priest.  Other Documentation Along with the documents above, the Archbishop will also need to send on certificates that might be appropriate such as Death Certificate, a Decree of Nullity, or a dispensation letter if one half of the couple is not Catholic. Documents should reach the church you wish to be married in at least 2 months before the wedding date. Very Important Wedding dates need to be organised directly with the church in Spain. After the wedding, you must deliver the marriage papers to the local Spanish Civil Registry to legalise them. OTHER RELIGIONS Unfortunately, you can only be married legally in Protestant, Islamic and Jewish ceremonies if you can meet the 2 year residency requirements.  

  • 0 Getting married in Croatia

    There is no official residency requirement for civil ceremonies in Croatia, although you will be required to make an appointment to meet with the Maticar (Registrar) at the local town hall a few days before the wedding takes place. Catholic and Orthodox faiths are the two main religions in Croatia and your only realistic options for a religious wedding ceremony in Croatia. Religious ceremonies are not legally binding in Croatia and can only be performed with proof marriage by civil ceremony in Croatia or from home. Minimum Age Requirement is 18.   CIVIL CEREMONY Civil ceremonies can take place in locations that have been approved by the Croatian authorities so as well as the registry office, it is possible to get married in hotels, places of interest, outdoors – even on a boat! Civil ceremonies are generally performed in Croatian by the local Maticar (civil officer) so if neither bride nor groom speak Croatian, they will have to engage the services of a court appointed translator at their own expense. The U.S embassy in Croatia’s website keeps a good record of translators. Applying for specific documents in your own country might require you to submit items like your birth certificate and passports so bear this in mind when you are figuring our your timelines and making travel arrangements. Documents cannot be more than 90 days old on your wedding date so make sure you time your request for certified copies of long form birth certificates and other documentation required accordingly. All documentation needs to be with the local town hall where you wish to be married no less than 30 days before your wedding date. Photocopies and scans of documents will not be accepted. Original documents need to be submitted and these won’t be returned so make sure you contact your local authority to get genuine copies of legal documents. Certificates and official documentation (both general and specific) must hold and Apostille Stamp. All documents must be translated into Croatian. Passports must be valid for one year after the wedding date.   General Process for All Nationalities Establish where the nearest registry office is to where you want to get married.  You will need to contact them directly and outline the ceremony venue you have in mind and your preferred wedding date. It goes without saying that this is one reason why you should hire a local wedding planner as communicating is going to be difficult. It’s a good idea to be aware of the documentation you require (see below) before you make contact first. It will allow you to double check with them that you have everything in order. You will also need to confirm the date you need to meet with them in person before the wedding date to finalise paperwork. Once you confirm the wedding date, make sure you mark down the 30th day before your wedding in a calendar to ensure you have your paperwork posted over on time. Obviously, we recommend that this is not done on the 30th day and that it should arrive at their office well in advance of this deadline. Remember that documents need to be a maximum of 90 days old or less on the day of your wedding. A translator is required at the wedding if you do not speak Croatian. On arrival in Croatia, you will need to meet with the town hall on your agreed appointment date to go through your paperwork but at this stage everything should be in order. For residents of Ireland, UK, USA, Canada and Australia, your marriage license will be issued in English after the wedding and will be recognised in your home country. General Documentation Required by All Nationalities Valid passports Photocopies of picture pages on passports Official, Long Form, signed Birth Certificates Photocopies of the picture page of the passports for your two witnesses, listing their name, address and occupation Divorce Decree (if appropriate) Deed Poll (if appropriate) Death Certificate (if appropriate) Parents’ Consent if either party is under 18

  • 0 Getting married in France

    Getting married in France Getting legally married in France is only possible through a civil ceremony which takes place at the council offices (mairie). The couple can then follow this with a religious ceremony, a secular service, or whatever celebration they choose, in a destination of their choice. Pre-wedding preparations The civil ceremony at the mairie must be in a commune (town or village) that you or your future spouse is linked to: where one or both of you live, or (since 2013) where one of your parents live. Most mairies are so small they only have one receptionist (and many have quirky opening hours as a result) so simply saying you want to get married is enough to start procedures. In larger towns, you can ask for the office des mariages (office of marriages) although this may cause some confusion if they don't have a separate department.You must apply together to the mairie in question, and prove that you are are both free to wed. This may include a face-to-face interview, either together or separately. The mairie will then publish the bans for a fixed period. This is a formality where your intent to marry is publically announced, to allow anyone with knowledge of a legal impediment (eg. an existing marriage) time to notify the registrar.This process typically takes at least four weeks, longer if one or both of you are not French. You may have a limited choice as to which day you can get married. Be prepared to be flexible.You must be over 18 and not already married to get married.Destination French weddings for foreigners Many people come to France to get married. However, the paperwork to arrange a civil wedding while out of the country is complex. Non-residents who do not have a parent living in France require a special dispensation to get married in the country, and this is very rarely granted. Many couples prefer to have the civil wedding in their country of origin or residence, and hold a second, religious or secular, ceremony in France.Conversely, couples who are residents in France may find it easier to hold the civil ceremony in France, and then celebrate with family and friends abroad.Documentation to get married in France Expect to have to provide: ID (eg. passport); birth certificate – this must be less than three months old if issued in France, less than six months old if issued elsewhere, and if from abroad, it may need to be 'legalised' so it's recognised in France, for example, the affixation of an Apostille stamp; proof of address (eg. rental agreement, recent bills); proof of nationality; proof of civil status – typically, you will request a Certificat de Capacité Matrimoniale from your embassy, but expect to provide a divorce or death certificate too, if you have been married previously; notary's certificate (only required with a prenuptual agreement); family record book (livret de famille) (typically only if you already have a child born in France); information about your two – four witnesses. As of 2013, medical certificates are no longer required.If you are not French, you may require a Certificat de Coutume from your embassy. This ensures that your marriage will be equally valid in France and in your home country.A notarised translation is typically required for any documents not in French. Foreign documents may have to be authorised with an Apostille stamp or equivalent, also known as 'Apostillisation' or 'legalisation'. The issuing authority stamps a document with an unique ID, indicating that it is a true and accurate copy to be recognised internationally.   Wedding ceremonies in France The ceremony must take place at the mairie, in a room open to the public, no less than 10 days and no more than one year after authorisation is granted. If you wait more than three months, you may have to supply new copies of your birth certificates. The mayor (maire) or their representative will preside over the ceremony.The ceremony will be in French. If either of you are not fluent in the language, it is strongly advised that you have a translator present. They do not usually need to be a professional or certified translator.Prenuptual agreements The default is that property acquired during the marriage is held in common (régime légal de communauté réduite aux acquêts) while property acquired outside the marriage is not. Additionally, without a will, the surviving spouse will retain half of the communal property, and inherit a proportion of the other half, shared with any children. In France, a prenuptual agreement (contrat de mariage) is only valid if it is arranged before the wedding. You must present a certificate from a public notary who has witnessed the contract when you apply to the mairie.A prenuptual agreement is used to alter the standard form of inheritance, joint ownership of property and mutual responsibility within the confines laid down by French law. It is common where there are children from previous relationships, other dependants, where one or both spouses own a business, or where there is significant wealth. Consult a legal professional for advice on your particular situation.De facto agreements Unmarried couples (same-sex or heterosexual) may create a Pacs (pacte civil de solidarité), a legally binding document that arranges certain aspects of their life. This is not an impediment to marriage, nor is it a prenuptual agreement. It is dissolved by marriage.Proof of marriage  After the ceremony, you will be presented with a family record document (livret de famille) unless you already have one. This is an ongoing record of all elements relating to the marriage (births, adoptions, deaths, divorce, etc.) and includes a copy of your marriage certificate (l'acte de mariage). If you require a separate or additional copy of the certificate, you must request this separately.French citizenship Marrying a French citizen does not automatically grant you French citizenship. There is currently a mandatory two-year wait before a residence card is granted to a non-French spouse, unless they already have one.Which name? By default, both spouses keep their own name. Each may add the other's name to theirs at this time for no charge, or a woman may replace her name with her husband's. Either or both may go through the process to legally change their name. Same-sex marriage Citizens of 11 countries (Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambodia, Kosovo, Laos, Morocco, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Slovenia and Tunisia) cannot enter into a same-sex marriage in France. This is apparently due to pre-existing treaties which mean that citizens of these countries must abide by certain of their own laws while in France. At the time of writing, in 2014, various challenges were under way but success is not in sight.

  • 0 Getting married in Greece

    The process for getting married can vary slightly between regions and islands so it is suggested to verify requirements with the local City Hall, and/or with the presiding religious leader in the case of a religious ceremony. THE WEDDING NOTICE A wedding notice must be published in one local newspaper or (in small towns) posted at the town hall in the Greek language eight days before the application for the marriage licence can be submitted. One notice must be published or posted for the bride, and one notice must be published or posted for the groom. The names on the notice should be phonetically written in Greek and not in Latin characters. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS The following are required of foreigners applying for a marriage licence in Greece (the bride and groom must each submit these documents): A passport A valid residence permit (if applicable) An original or certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate, along with an official translation into Greek. The birth certificate should have an Apostille stamp (see below) If either has been married before, a death certificate or final divorce decree, along with an official translation into Greek A Certificate of No Impediment, which must be completed in English and Greek and notarised at the applicable Embassy A copy of the newspaper in which the wedding notices were published (if applicable) The court decision approving the marriage for those under 18 years of age Application fee Two sets of the above documents are required if both civil and religious ceremonies are to be performed. One set is for the town hall and the other for the priest. Note: Americans marrying in Greece may be able to use a valid marriage licence issued in the United States if the licence does not contain any wording that indicates it is exclusively valid in the issuing jurisdiction. CERTIFICATES OF NO IMPEDIMENT For foreign nationals already in Greece, it may be possible to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment from their consular authority in Greece. This will usually require the applicant to attest to the fact that they are legally able to marry. A minimum residence period in Greece may apply, and the waiting period for the Certificate can be several weeks. In some cases, consular authorities may require proof of civil status from the person's home country, which can be obtained from the registry office or town hall of the person's previous place of residence. This must be officially legalised with an Apostille stamp. Note: If a Certificate of No Impediment cannot be obtained from a consular authority in Greece, then it must be obtained from the local registry office or town hall where the foreign national resides, therefore it is strongly suggested to contact the consulate in Greece well in advance. THE APOSTILLE/LEGALISATION Any foreign legal documents which are to be used in Greece must be officially legalised with the Hague Convention Apostille. The Apostille is a stamp or seal that signifies the document is legal and authentic; it is meant to simplify the process of document legalisation across international borders. If submitting more than one document requiring a Hague Convention Apostille, each document must have an Apostille. A Hague Convention Apostille for a legal document, such as a birth certificate or divorce decree, can be obtained by an approved government office in the country, state or county where the document originates (this could be a State Secretary's office or Foreign and Commonwealth Office). If the country is not a member of this Hague Convention, then a certified letter from the town hall where the document originates, stating that the document is valid and true, may be sufficient. Otherwise, the Greek Embassy in the applicant's home country may validate the documents. TRANSLATION All legal documents submitted for the marriage which are not in Greek must be officially translated into Greek. The term official translation means a translation that has been made and certified by a lawyer, a certified translator or by the Greek Foreign Ministry’s Department of Translation. For those outside of Greece, the Greek Consulate in their home country can offer official translations. Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Department of Translation REGISTRATION OF THE MARRIAGE All marriages in Greece, whether civil or religious, must be registered at the local Registrar's Office/Office of Vital Statistics (Lixiarhio) within 40 days following the ceremony. Registration can be done by the bride or groom, or by any individual who is in possession of a power of attorney signed before a Notary Public giving them the authority to register the marriage. Once registered, a Marriage Certificate (lixiarchiki praxi gamou) will be issued within three days and can be picked up or sent via the mail.

  • 0 Getting married in Scotland

    By law both parties to a proposed civil, religious or belief marriage are required to submit marriage notice forms to the registrar of the district in which the marriage is to take place informing them of their intention to marry. Forms for giving notice can be obtained from any registrar of births etc. in Scotland or from the National Records of Scotland website at www.nrscotland.gov.uk . Notice must be given in the three-month period prior to the date of the marriage and NOT LATER than 29 days before that date. This leaflet gives general guidance only and should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law. If, after reading it, you are still in doubt you should seek advice from any registrar of births etc. in Scotland or from staff in Marriage/Civil Partnership Section of the National Records of Scotland (NRS), New Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YT - email: marriage@nrscotland.gov.uk WHO CAN BE MARRIED IN SCOTLAND? Any two persons, regardless of sex or where they live, may marry in Scotland provided that: Both persons are at least 16 years of age on the day of their marriage. They are not related to one another in a way which would prevent their marrying. They are unmarried and not in a civil partnership. They are capable of understanding the nature of a marriage ceremony and of consenting to marrying. In the case of an opposite sex marriage, the marriage would be regarded as valid in the party’s country of domicile. TYPES OF MARRIAGE You can be married in either of two ways in Scotland - by a religious or belief ceremony or by a civil ceremony: A religious or belief marriage may take place anywhere and may be solemnised only by a minister, clergyman, pastor, priest or other person approved to do so under the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977. A civil marriage may take place in a registration office or at any place agreed between the registration authority and the couple and may be solemnised only by a registrar or an assistant registrar who has been authorised by the Registrar General for that purpose. HOW AND WHEN TO GIVE NOTICE You can each obtain a marriage notice form, and information about fees, from any registrar of births etc. in Scotland. In most cases you can get the address of your local registrar from the telephone directory. A list of registrars is also available on the NRS website at www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/registration/reglist.pdf. Each of you must complete and submit a marriage notice, along with the required documents (see below) and the appropriate fee, to the registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place. This means that both parties must be aware of the marriage and independently complete and sign the declaration on the marriage notice form. Failing to give proper notice can result in a marriage being postponed or prevented from proceeding. Timing is important. The notices must be submitted early enough to enable the registrar to satisfy themself that you are free to marry one another. Normally notices should be in their hands about TEN to TWELVE weeks beforehand. The minimum period is 29 days before the date of the proposed marriage, but if you leave things as late as this you could be faced with the need to postpone your marriage. Only in exceptional circumstances will the Registrar General authorise a marriage to take place if 29 days' notice has not been given. Although you need not both attend personally at the registrar's office to hand in your marriage notice, at least one of you may be asked to attend there personally before the date of the marriage. This is necessary, in the case of a religious or belief marriage, to collect the Marriage Schedule or, it might be necessary in the case of a civil marriage, to finalise arrangements with the registrar. Every person giving notice is required to sign a declaration to the effect that the particulars and information given on the notice are correct. As a safeguard against bigamous marriages a subsequent check of the information is made by NRS. Persons related in any of the ways listed at paragraph 2 at the end of this leaflet will each require to sign a separate declaration form which, like the marriage notice form, is obtainable from any registrar of births etc. in Scotland. IF YOU LIVE IN ENGLAND OR WALES As an alternative to the normal procedure of giving notice to a registrar in Scotland, if you intend to marry (i) a person residing in Scotland, or (ii) a person residing in England or Wales who has a parent residing in Scotland, you may give notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar in the district of England or Wales in which you reside. The person you are marrying should, however, give notice in Scotland in the usual way. You should seek the advice of the superintendent registrar if you wish to proceed in this way. The certificate for marriage obtained from him should be sent to the Scottish registrar as quickly as possible. DOCUMENTS TO BE PRODUCED When giving or sending the marriage notice forms to the registrar each of you must supply the following: Your birth certificate or, if you are adopted, your adoption certificate. Evidence of your usual residence. If you have been married or in a registered civil partnership before and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved or annulled, a decree of divorce or dissolution or annulment or a certified copy decree. A decree of divorce or dissolution granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final - a decree nisi is not acceptable. The registrar will ask to see your valid passport or other document to provide evidence of your nationality. If your spouse or civil partner is deceased, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner. If you are in a qualifying civil partnership, an extract from the entry in the civil partnership register relating to the civil partnership. If you are in an existing marriage, your marriage certificate. If your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry - see IF YOU ARE DOMICILED OUTSIDE THE UNITED KINGDOM (below). If any of these documents are in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided. Do not delay giving notice simply because you are waiting for any of the documents mentioned above to come to hand. If time is getting short it is better to give notice first and then pass the documents to the registrar when they become available; but they must be made available to the registrar before the marriage. Provided the documents are in order, the marriage can proceed as arranged. If you are subject to immigration controls you will have to provide extra documentation to that outlined above. In particular, you will need to provide a Declaration of Immigration Status form which can be obtained from the registrar or the NRS website. Evidence to support the statement you make on the Declaration of Immigration Status form will also be required. If you are in any doubt about what is required, or if you need further information, you should consult the registrar or contact NRS. IF YOU ARE DOMICILED OUTSIDE THE UNITED KINGDOM The normal procedure of giving notice to the registrar in Scotland must be followed but, as previously mentioned, an additional requirement is placed upon you. If, being domiciled in a country outside the UK, you are subject to the marriage laws of that country, you should obtain, if practicable, a certificate issued by the competent authority (usually the civil authority) in that country to the effect that there is no impediment to your proposed marriage. If the certificate is in a language other than English you should also produce a certified translation. In the absence of such a certificate without good reason being shown, it may not be possible for you to marry in Scotland. If you are now resident in the UK, and have lived here for the last two years or more, you need not submit such a certificate. If you are a UK citizen living abroad, or an Australian or New Zealand or Canadian or United States of America citizen you need not submit such a certificate. If you are in any doubt about what is required, or if you need further information, you should consult the registrar or write to NRS at the address shown at the start of this leaflet. MAKING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE MARRIAGE CEREMONY It is important to make early arrangements for the date and time of your marriage. If you are having a religious or belief ceremony, contact the person performing the marriage before completing the notice of marriage. For a civil marriage, make advance arrangements with the registrar. This is particularly important if the ceremony is to be in towns and cities, where large numbers of people want to be married at certain times of the year. Arrange for two persons, aged 16 years or over, to be present at your marriage to act as witnesses. They are required whether it is a religious or belief or civil ceremony. Be sure to let the person performing the marriage know if you change your plans or decide to postpone your marriage. THE MARRIAGE SCHEDULE When they are satisfied there is no legal impediment to the marriage, the registrar will prepare a Marriage Schedule from the information you have given them. The Schedule is a most important document - no marriage can proceed without it. If you are having a religious or belief marriage the Marriage Schedule will be issued to you by the registrar. The Schedule cannot be issued more than seven days before the marriage and the registrar will advise you when to call to collect it. The Schedule cannot be collected on your behalf by a relative or friend - the registrar will issue it only to one of the parties to the marriage. The Marriage Schedule must be produced before the marriage ceremony to the person performing the marriage. Immediately after the ceremony, the Schedule must be signed in black fountain pen by both parties, by the person performing the marriage and by the two witnesses. Thereafter, it must be returned to the registrar within three days so that (s)he can register the marriage. If you are having a civil marriage, a Marriage Schedule will not be issued, but the registrar will have it available at the marriage ceremony for signature. Subsequently, the registrar will register the marriage. •A fee for the civil marriage and, if applicable, for the attendance of an authorised registrar if the location is somewhere other than the registration office, is payable to the registrar in advance. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE After the marriage has been registered, you can obtain copies of the marriage certificate from the registrar on payment of the appropriate fee